Tenants remaining in property beyond end of contract

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenants remaining in property beyond end of contract
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear RLA,

I am a landlord with tenants on a shorthand tenancy agreement ending 2nd Nov 2015. I have served a section 21 (within the prescribed deadlines). The tenants are in the process of purchasing another property and they have informed me that the purchase may not be completed by the end of the tenancy contract date and they have asked whether they can remain in the property for a few more weeks (upto an additional 2 months).

Ideally I want the tenants to leave the property at the end of the tenancy agreement, but if I oblige to allowing the tenants to remain in the property I would like to know:

1. Whether I will have to serve a new section 21 notice or whether I can rely on the existing one;
2. Should I still charge rent or will this expose me to any other legal matters?
3. Should I proceed with court proceedings to evict the tenants?
4. Do I need to get another contract prepared to cover the possibility of an additional 2 months tenancy?
5. Are there any other legal issues I should be aware of for an extension to the tenancy?

Regards

Majid
01/11/2015 22:24

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband