Planning to create and rent out a self contained flat on my permanent residence

You are here : Member Forums Other Planning to create and rent out a self contained flat on my permanent residence
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I would like to create a flat within my permanent residence for rental. This will be achieved by converting a current family room which leads onto an existing bedroom on suite, to a self contained unit separated from my kitchen by a 46 dB rated acoustic door. The flat will contain a bedroom with double bed, on suite toilet and shower, and an open plan kitchen diner, with hob, oven, microwave and washing machine and sitting area with a 3 & 2 seat couch. Entrance will be through a shared entrance porch into the flat lounge area. There will also be doors from the bedroom onto the drive. There will not be separate utility meters and the rent will include utilities.
My husband is a consultant at the local hospital and has established that there is a very good market for junior doctors who work at the hospital for either 6 or 12 month contracts.
The options we have is to seek formal planning permission, register with the council and set up a company in my name.
A further option, could as I understand, rent this direct to the junior doctors on a trial basis, as a non assured rental??
I would be grateful of your advice on the 2 options and in fact what other options may be available.
Pending these options I would like to know what regulatory (fire and safety etc)legislation I will need to acquaint myself with, so that this can be included / considered by the builder during alterations. Eg. Fire door specs for the acoustic rated door separating my kitchen - from the flat?
The leather suite we wish to use is in very good condition, but 25 years old and has no attached fire safety labels.
14/11/2015 13:53

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband