Agent takes commission twice, on the same period, after tenant breaks contract

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Agent takes commission twice, on the same period, after tenant breaks contract
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
3 Posts
0 Thanks
I had a tenant, Mr.A, who was on a two-year contract with a 12 month break clause. Unfortunately the overseas company who had moved him to London went bankrupt obliging my tenant to leave England after 6 months.
By the terms of the contract the tenant was obliged to pay the rent up to the earlier of the 12 month break or the date a new tenant took occupation.
My agent, a large and well known company, managed to find me a new tenant, Mr. B, who was able to move in the day after Mr. A vacated the property. As a result there was no rent liability for Mr A for any period other than when he was resident at the flat.
My agent, however, is charging commission to the tenant on the six months between the date of leaving and the date of the 12 month break. This is despite the fact that they are also collecting commission from the tenancy they arranged for Mr B, which covers the same period, effectively charging double commission for six months.
The agent claims that this is normal practice and that the tenants are made fully aware of their liability to pay commission up to the first contractual break, regardless of whether the property is re-let or not.
I would appreciate your opinion. Personally I consider this to be sharp practice given that no damage has been suffered by either the landlord or the agent.
21/11/2015 14:21

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband