Join the Residential Landlords Association

HMO overcrowding, Section 21 and Sublettting

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 HMO overcrowding, Section 21 and Sublettting
Johnpg
Johnpg
4 Posts
0 Thanks

My property currently has a family of 4 living in one room.(My managing agent went bust and this is what i came to find) I am aware that this is overcrowding, I tried to address this by letting them an additional room but they are just using this as storage now. I also have one other tenant who is leaving tomorrow. I currently don't have a licence for the property which I realise I should as it is currently a HMO. The family want to be formally evicted so that they can qualify for social housing. I also Pay all the bills as is.

The family wish to sublet the property however I feel that this may lead to me loosing complete control of the property. The only option I feel I am left with is to let them the whole property for 6 months on a short hold tenancy and serve a section 21 after 4 months. Would I need a licence before doing this? these are my boroughs rules on HMO's (hmo.licensing@haringey.gov.uk). I am also worried that if I do take this route they will sublet the other rooms ass they have tried this in the past. How difficult would it be to get these other tenants out when I serve the section 21 to the family? or would i need to take a different route for the eviction?
Any help is much appreciated!

07/11/2019 11:57

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions