Join the Residential Landlords Association

Council Tax Liability

You are here : Member Forums Other Council Tax Liability
Bishops Court
Bishops Court
16 Posts
1 Thanks

Had a tenant sign a new 12 month fixed term AST dated 1 May 19 (using your AST template).
In July she text me to say she wanted to give me 28 days notice. I reminded her she had a 12 month agreement which doesn't expire till 30 May 2020 so a 28 days notice is not accepted. Heard nothing from her till a couple of weeks later I drove past the property and saw her moving out. I spoke to her and again reminded her that she has a 12 month agreement and if she's moving out that she will be liable for all bills until the flat is re-let, surrender of tenancy not accepted. A couple of days later the keys were posted back to me.
I advised the council that she had vacated the property but was still liable for the council tax as the tenancy had not been surrendered I gave them details of where to send her bill and asking them not to use the 3 month empty property exemption at that time.
I have now received an email from them asking for new letting details and date of when tenant vacated property and handed keys back etc.
I don't know if they have billed her direct or not.
The property is not yet re-let but we are trying to get a tenant.

I am checking that I am correct in telling them to chase her for the council tax until it is re-let or till the end of the 12 month AST which ever is sooner?

09/11/2019 17:47

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions