Join the Residential Landlords Association

Rogue tenant

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Rogue tenant
xxxxx
xxxxx
5 Posts
2 Thanks

I have a tenant in a 4 bed non licensable HMO, who is 4 months in arrears with his rent, he has also caused damage to the property and is causing problems in the local town with his violent and abusive behaviour towards other members of the community, I personally have experienced Malicious communications and Harassment from him. The police are involved and have said they will be trying to get an injunction against him for his Anti social behaviour. I am issuing him with a section 8 notice which I know he will contest in Court for which he would almost certainly receive legal aid. He has already caused damage to my house and then reported it to the local council as repairs needing doing, the council have inspected the property but not issued an enforcement notice.
All the bills for the house are in my name and I have been paying these regularly for the past 14 months, however I used an RLA standard AST which does a actually state that the tenant is responsible for all utilities.I didnt provide an addendum to the contract in respect of the bills.
He is now running the central heating at maximum temperature 35 degrees on constant and heating his dog kennel using electric fan heaters therefore costing me a fortune.
Would I be within my legal rights to Terminate my agreement with the G&E supplier OR to install a prepay meter, I also pay for the broadband, could I terminate this.or would this be seen as harassment.
I would be grateful for any help and advice with any of the above issues.

12/11/2019 11:12

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions