Join the Residential Landlords Association

Ms Sara Mayhew

You are here : Member Forums Other Ms Sara Mayhew
SM Reading
SM Reading
3 Posts
0 Thanks

We have a house with 2 flats with very long standing tenants. We are in the midst of upgrading insulation in one flat to meet the minimum EPC requirements for next year.
However, the other flat is crammed with stuff, and the tenant is not at all keen to move stuff around to allow the work. Taking in large sheets of foamboard and plasterboard obviously requires clear access, space in the affected rooms and the ability to protect furniture etc in the room while working. This is going to require huge physical and mental effort by the tenant to declutter and move his bulky furniture and possession. In the past he has been very resistant to even minor requests like keeping the hall clear as a fire exit route.

Is it possible for the tenant to agree to non-compliance with minimum EPC regs on the grounds that he doesn't want the disruption? If so, does the assessment still need to be done?

Obviously if he left we would clear the place and do the work required to meet the regs, as we have elsewhere.


13/11/2019 04:11

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions