Join the Residential Landlords Association

Rent arrears and tenant depisits

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Rent arrears and tenant depisits
Caterham
Caterham
2 Posts
0 Thanks

Could you please give me advice regarding my tenants. Thet did not pay rent which was due on 7 November and yesterday advised that they want to leave on 5th December. They want me to use the deposit (1 monthís rent) to cover the arrears and, if there are any problems with the property specified in the inventory check, they have said they will arrange for payment if they agree. This makes me very uncomfortable and Iím assuming, would be something you would advise against. Attached is their email - could you please give suggestions on how to proceed.

Hi Tracey, so to confirm my proposal last night. We would like to vacate the property by the 5th December 2019. As rent payment was not made on the 5th November, this would leave us with one month rent arrears. A deposit of one months rent is being held with a third party. In this case if there is a mutual agreement to do so, can the monthís outstanding rent be taken from the deposit. In the case thereís a discrepancy with the inventory, we will cover that cost upon agreement.

Regards
R. Osborn

13/11/2019 16:45

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions