Council Tax liability for periodic tenancies

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Council Tax liability for periodic tenancies
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Yair
3 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi there,
A tenant on a periodic tenancy has just vacated my flat, they gave notice to 20-Nov, So the flat was let from the 21st to a new tenant. The tenant informed the council tax office that they have vacated on the 17th and the council tax office made me liable for the gap with the following explanation when I told them that the tenancy was till the 20th:

In order to amend our records the tenants needed to be in a fixed term tenancy of 6 months or more. As the tenants were on a rolling/periodic tenancy after their fixed term ended, we are not be able to adjust the charge as council tax law dictates that tenants on this type of tenancy can only be held liable for council tax whilst they remain resident in the property and it is their sole or main residence for council tax purposes.

Ive user the RLA AST 2014 edition agreement, is there something I can do or say to get the council to accept the periodic tenancy as a continuation of the fixed term?

Otherwise periodic tenancy can prove to be a bigger problem if tenants decide to lie about their moving out dates.
15/12/2015 16:52

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband