Join the Residential Landlords Association

EPC to let room in HMO, where HMO has never had an EPC issued

You are here : Member Forums Other EPC to let room in HMO, where HMO has never had an EPC issued
TonyOrchard
TonyOrchard
1 Posts
0 Thanks

There is conflicting information about whether or not an EPC is required to let a room in a HMO.
As I understand it, if an EPC exists for the property as a whole, then the landlord should give a copy of the EPC to a new tenant when letting a room.
If the HMO as a whole does not already have an EPC, perhaps because it has never changed hands since EPC's came into use, then it is not required.
I wish to have clarification, because of the stricter MEES rules coming into force on 1st April 2020 where the minimum standards will apply to existing tenancies, not just new ones.

This link leads me to believe that EPC's are not required when letting rooms in HMO's where no EPC already exists:

https://onestopepc.co.uk/blog/ufaqs/houses-multiple-occupation-hmos-excluded-prs-regulations-mees/

If anyone knows for sure, please advise. Thank you.

19/11/2019 17:13

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions