Homeless Landlord

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Homeless Landlord
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
2 Posts
0 Thanks
I am a private landlord working abroad but will return to live in my flat in mid-March. I have issued an S21 and the AST expires on 02 February. My tenant, who is on benefits, has approached the local authority (Hounslow) to be rehoused only to be told they will act only after a court order and a bailiff’s warrant has been issued. I intend to start the accelerated eviction proceedings on 03 February, but my tenant has fallen behind on the rent, now into the second month. I have not yet served an S8. I understand that I cannot claim rent arrears as a reason for eviction under this process, but that the PCOL process would allow me to do so. I see also that going to the High Court is an option.

My question is twofold:

Is it feasible to challenge the local authority to accelerate their rehousing obligation, as I will be homeless as a consequence of their policy?

What is the best process(es) for eviction and rent recovery that do not contradict or invalidate each other. Is there just one or should I follow some in parallel? That said, my imperative is eviction as I need somewhere to live, so if one is far quicker, that might be my preference.

All advice is gratefully received.
09/01/2016 06:44

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband