Join the Residential Landlords Association

Failur To Notify Council Of Student Let

You are here : Member Forums Other Failur To Notify Council Of Student Let
KandJ
KandJ
4 Posts
0 Thanks

In Liverpool I have a studio apartment in a student designated building that was completed in 2015. As part of the purchase all buyers had to enter into an agreement with a management company who took responsibility for letting and managing all the studios and communal areas in return for a guaranteed monthly payment to each of the buyers. Because the management company stopped making the monthly payments they were in breach of the management agreement so I cancelled it and appointed my own management company with effect from 1st October 2017.

Last week I received notice from Liverpool Council to say the £960 of council tax was owing from 2015 to 2017 and that court proceedings had been initiated. The original management company has gone into receivership and apparently all correspondence relating to these arrears were sent to the management company offices so the first I knew about it was last week. All letting agreements up to 1st October 2017 were between the tenant and that management company.

Am I liable for the arrears? Assuming the studio was occupied by a student between 2015 and 2017 then presumably no council tax was payable? If the studio was empty would council tax be payable? I have no way of finding out whether the studio was occupied or empty as the management company is no longer trading!

Any advice you can provide would be great. Thank you.

26/11/2019 13:57

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions