council tax - student now not in full time edcuation

You are here : Member Forums Other council tax - student now not in full time edcuation
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
riverstone
5 Posts
0 Thanks
Received a council tax bill for my property which should be exempt as I have 4 full-time students letting it. (so I thought)
After ringing the council I find that one of my students is not longer in full time education.
I rang the tenant concerned and find that she stopped her education due to illness and her doctor would not approve her to continue for the moment.
She is looking for work and her parents are paying the rent and she is due to continue her education September 2016. She stopped education November 2015.
But I am left with a possible bill of 800, I have to paid 75% of the council tax from the day she stopped education to when her tenancy agreement finishes 1st June 2016. She did not think to tell me.
So how can I recoup this money from her, would I be able to make a claim through the deposit protection scheme where her deposit is held but this would not totally cover the amount I will have to pay for the council tax.
The Tenancy agreement I have with the student is:
All 4 students are named under one agreement but pay their monthly rent individually direct to me. This is their second year and the agreement for all the 4 tenants finishes June 1st 2016
Any advise
11/01/2016 16:12

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband