Join the Residential Landlords Association

selling up to retire

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 selling up to retire
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
laviniateresa
laviniateresa
97 Posts
18 Thanks

We are of retirement age, & want to know which form of notice do we use to inform tenants/gain possession for selling up. I don't see retirement as a legitimate reason on the Section 21 info sheet.
THE ABOVE QUERY IS COMPLETE, FOR PERUSAL BY THE RLA TEAM, THE RANT BELOW CAN BE IGNORED (!) I THOUGHT FELLOW LANDLORDS MIGHT BE INTERESTED

We actually have a good few years left (hopefully) in us to run our portfolio of 6 properties, and the plan was to leave them to our son.
However, can't risk it, (a) a burden for him to navigate his way round the legislation already in place, and planned by current /future governments, (b) we have too much to lose.
frankly dismayed by recent legislation changes (e.g. can't charge tenants for cleaning property (for them to have no responsibility in this regard is the last straw) re: paperwork/agreements however: We've never (since 1983) charged. and now Section 21 will be tinkered with (only used it once for tenant in huge arrears of £7k)) And to cap it all, there may be a change of government who have yet more tricks up their sleeves to punish even good law abiding, considerate landlords. I (like allowing tenants to buy their property at discounted price (providing the LL doesn't lose money on the deal, but of course delving into and stealing part of their capital appreciation over the years is allowed and to be encouraged)). Due to this tinkering of the PRS, I have at least 4 tenants, who are decent people, in receipt of various benefits, living in a pretty conservation area at below market rents (my bit of "giving back", but also admittedly, the benefit to me is, no frequent change of tenancies ). So for them to match what they've got, won't happen. If the" right to buy" comes in, they do have possibilities of family help/inheritance. Even one doing that would ruin our portfolio (several flats making up one block)

29/11/2019 12:39

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions