Accelerated eviction for tenants with no Right to Rent?

You are here : Member Forums Other Accelerated eviction for tenants with no Right to Rent?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
DPT
1,937 Posts
599 Thanks
I thought I remembered reading that the Gov't were introducing an accelerated procedure for evicting tenants who lose their right to rent or who it is later discovered never had one. Having just read the guidance it says:

If the Home Office finds that an occupier does not have a right to be in the country, they will lose any right to work and to receive benefits. The Home Office may take action to remove the individual from the country. During this process, the tenancy agreement remains in force.
Although landlords, agents and householders should make a report to the Home Office if follow-up checks reveal that an occupier no longer has the right to rent in the UK, there is currently no requirement to evict an occupier, and landlords, agents and householders may continue to collect rent. Landlords, agents and householders may however wish to consider bringing tenancies to an end. Any eviction action taken must comply with the requirements relating to lawfully regaining possession of the property.

Quite how a landlord is supposed to collect rent from a tenant who now can't work or receive benefits I don't know and given how long it can take to get them out, particularly if they are in the fixed term of an AST, a landlord could end up with thousands of pounds of debt and no possibility of recovery since the tenant will be leaving the country!

Does anyone know if the Government are still planning to introduce a faster eviction process in this circumstance?
30/01/2016 18:54

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband