12 month AST and tenant wanting to leave early

You are here : Member Forums Other 12 month AST and tenant wanting to leave early
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
E
Ernie and Bert
4 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi

Tenant started their tenancy on 28 August 2015. Signed the RLA AST for a 12 month period.

2 days ago (i.e. on 2 Feb, not on 'tenancy month' 28 Jan - just over 5 months after the AST began), received an email from the tenant giving unspecified notice to vacate due to risk of redundancy.

The words in the email, "I'd rather just give notice on the flat now in case things take a turn for the worst later this month"

Note the email was received to an email address not registered for the tenancy (it was sent to a private non-business email address of mine), and in the AST it mentions all notices must be sent by post.

I am unsure where I stand on this.

1) Do I request notice in writing by post and for the notice to begin at the next monthly roll-over (so a month from 28th Feb)?

2) Do I ask the tenant to stay until the contractual term is up? (a consideration I have - If tenant is made redundant then will they be able to pay the rent?)

3) Do I ask the tenant to pay anything toward costs of leaving early (i.e. needing to find another tenant and to pay the rent for the time the property remains empty)?

4) How does this affect the deposit lodged with the DPS?

Thanks in advance for any pointers and help with this.

04/02/2016 17:56

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband