Join the Residential Landlords Association

Access to our land during construction of extension next doors

You are here : Member Forums Access Access to our land during construction of extension next doors
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
JMH
JMH
42 Posts
2 Thanks

Hi

This is a potential future issue. The oner of the property next to our rented house has put in a planning application for an extension which looks like it will be built right up to the property line, so the builders and surveyors will need access to our land. The situation is complicated by the fact that our tenant knows the party concerned.

As I understand it any builders need to give 14 days notice, but who to? I would expect it to be me but any correspondence to the property owner and addressed to our rented property is likely to be opened by the tenant.

So, my questions:

Can I / should I notify the tenant that any correspondence regarding this extension must be forwarded to me?

Will the 14 days notice include my time to arrange with my tenant (given their friendship this is unlikely to be an issue)? I assume yes.

What do I do if the tenant for some reason refuses access - I will end up in the middle?

There is also the ongoing issue of maintenance and a requirement for access to our property. Not sure how to deal with that. Can I tell the tenant they must not grant permission and permission can only be granted by us as owners?

Did I miss anything - any potential issues?

I have legal cover with the property so no worries there but I want to head off any issues before they arise if possible.

Thanks

16/12/2019 10:27

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions