Buying a property at auction with housing benefit tenants insitu

You are here : Member Forums Other Buying a property at auction with housing benefit tenants insitu
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Charlie_829
16 Posts
2 Thanks
Hi
I am in the process of purchasing a house at auction, which will complete 23 February 2016. The current tenant has been in situ since 2012 and the rent is paid direct from the council to the current owner.

I have provided the tenant with a new AST w.e.f. 23.2.16 which, despite reminders, she has not signed. I have asked the tenant to notify the council, which she has not done.

My questions are ;
1) Will the existing AST "roll over" onto myself as the new owner or become null and void?
2) I have not been able to obtain i.d which presumably I require as a new AST will be created?
3) Although the current AST is only in the tenants name I know her boyfriend also lives there, whom is over 18, so presumably he should be named on the AST also?
4) If he is not named, and she moves out, will I be left with a "sitting tenant" whom will be impossible to get out?

I am most concerned that if the current tenant does not provide i.d or sign the new AST or notify the Council will it be impossible to get the tenants out? If they would just respond to me and sign the docs etc I would be quite happy for them to stay, which is what they told me they wanted to do!

I look forward to your response please.

Many thanks, as always

A very concerned landlord
10/02/2016 11:40

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband