Join the Residential Landlords Association

Tenants asking for rent reduction

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenants asking for rent reduction
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Didz
Didz
8 Posts
1 Thanks

I have had to make a number of repairs recently on the flat I am renting.

Recently the boiler needed some repairs. The builder has taken off the cupboard around the boiler while he repaired it and has put a chemical in the system to clean it. The cupboard around the boiler was left off for a couple of weeks while the chemical works and to make sure the fixes worked. It merely needs to be re-attached.

The tenants are asking for a rent reduction as apparently the flat is not fully functional (which is unbelievable) as the heating is working. Merely a cupboard around the boiler which needs to be re-fixed.

They were on a 12 months AST which is now rolling 2 months notice (at their request as they want to buy a property). I get things fixed in a timely manner - they are continually contacting me regarding rental discounts while I deal with repairs.

1. Am I in my right to tell the tenant they cannot have any discount for this?
  2. How easy is it for me to serve them notice to vacate as I would like to find new tenants? Speaking to local agents the market has picked up and the current tenants are paying a low rent.

19/12/2019 17:01

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions