Cats

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Cats
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
Jane123
1 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi there,

I've got a tenant who a few months into the tenancy has asked me if they can have a cat. The tenancy agreement stipulates no pets and I was very clear in my advertising that I wouldn't accept animals.

A tradesman has recently gone in to the property and reported back to me that the tenants have now got a cat.

I want to keep the tenants as they are reliable, and don't have the heart to tell them to get rid of the cat. However, I am annoyed because there will be increased wear and tear (when I bought the property I had to replace all of the flooring including floor boards because the smell of cat urine was so strong, despite bleaching!). Would it be fair to ask the tenants for an increased deposit (the current deposit is 500 but the cost of replacing carpets would be 1000, and so I feel it would be fair to ask for a further 500 just for cat related damage). Am I allowed to do that? Obviously it depends on them admitting they have one! What shall I do if they don't admit it? The house did have a cat flap in the door so I guess I could have that boarded up? Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated. PS They have the property 7% below market value, can I increase the rent by this amount too?
12/02/2016 17:26

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband