Join the Residential Landlords Association

should a landlord reveal that his relative lives in the HMO that a potential is enquiring about

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management should a landlord reveal that his relative lives in the HMO that a potential is enquiring about
Maureen_539
Maureen_539
3,637 Posts
1,457 Thanks

Hello colleagues. An ex- client of mine going it alone has contacted to pose this question to which I have no experience of.
He's got a 4 bed HMO for which he's taking viewings just now. He's in a quandary as to mention, or not mention the fact that his son now lives in one of the rooms & will do for the foreseeable future. I couldn't see the relevance as the occupants have ind AST's & that by now the other 2 tnts know of the family connection - which doesn't perturb them in the slightest. Its never been mentioned by the tnts to the landlords & the relative himself doesn't assume any airs, graces or have higher expectations in any respect.

I've said that the newcomer wouldn't have a problem, unless the son did decide to 'pull rank' & that's an impossibility. The LL is worried about 'false pretences'. I explained that I for my HMO replacement - do no more than give a 'thumb-nail sketch of each roomie, their preferences & how they gel together as a group'. That's not going into 2 much detail which may breach others privacy.

What would colleagues suggest?

20/12/2019 11:41

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions