Question about periodic/rolling tenancies - legally, how much notice do they need to give?

You are here : Member Forums Other Question about periodic/rolling tenancies - legally, how much notice do they need to give?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
G
Good Taste
5 Posts
1 Thanks
Hi everyone,

I have tenants who's AST's ended on the last week of December 2015; they are now on rolling contract since. I also mentioned that they need to give us at least 30-45 days notice if they are leaving the property.

-On 4th February, they had given notices to end their tenancies and will leave on the last week of March; this is okay as they had given me enough notice to leave

-On 21 February, they contacted me again and said they want to leave on the last week of February; which means they are leaving in the next 8 days and demanding to have their rent monies back! Just to note that we did not ask for a deposit when they moved in. However, we asked for the first and last months rent upfront. The last months rent is to be used on the last month of their tenancy; which means their rent is paid until last week of March.

My question is:

1. Can tenants just move out anyday they want if they are on rolling contractas? the tenancy agreement (AST) ended on December 2015

2. Legally, how much 'notice to leave' should a tenant give if they are on a periodic/rolling tenancies?

- unfortunately, giving notices to leave is not mentioned on the AST but I told them months ago that we need at least 30-45 days notice - I have this on email.

Please can you advise?
27/02/2016 14:20

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband