Water damage to downstairs flat from unknown source

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Water damage to downstairs flat from unknown source
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
W
WF landlord
1 Posts
0 Thanks
My top floor flat (leasehold) is directly above another flat that reported water damage to ceiling and walls before Christmas. As soon as I was contact by my letting agent, I agreed that the leak be investigated and repaired as necessary. No obvious cause was identified at the time although the bath/shower sealant was redone as a security message. At the same time, my flat had water damage from missing roof tiles, this was repaired by the owners of the building, My roof tiles go from floor to ceiling in my flat and has four balconies, so it is possible the water damage to the flat below was caused by this.
I asked for 2/3 months wait to see if the leak reappeared to try and gain clarity as to where the leak was coming from. No further leaks have been reported and the downstairs landlord is demanding 520 for decorating costs.
I have spoken to my insurers who say I have not been negligent and will not pay for the other flats costs. The owners of the building say the leak could have come from various sources and are not taking responsibility for the leak either.
I suggested, via my letting agent, that the downstairs landlord claim on their insurance and I would pay the excess as an act of goodwill. The landlord is not prepared to do it and is threatening legal action.
Any advice would be most welcome.
15/03/2016 10:36

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband