Are these fees legal?

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Are these fees legal?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
1 Thanks
Good afternoon, I have a flat that O let through Barnard Marcus. They charged me 7 or 8% of rent as a fee. The 1st year I anticipated this being for finding, referencing and credit checking tenant etc,(they do not manage property, record inventory or collect rent)however on the fist renewal I was charged the 7% and 150 fee for a new tenancy agreement. This worked out to be over 1200. I asked them what the 7% fee covered because I have had no further benefit from them and it clearly wasnt for new tenancy agreement because I was charged on top for that as well. I am approaching my 2nd year and they are again asking me for 7% and 150 for tenancy agreement. My tenant also pays 150 if she renews. The fee is advertised in the terms and conditions but I have asked repeatedly what it actually covers and this is the only response I can get "The 7% + VAT letting charge will continue as long as the tenant resides in the property whether it is fixed or periodic.

Should you choose for us to arrange a fixed term tenancy then this will cost 125.00 + VAT to draw up the new agreement or if you wish for the tenancy to become a periodic tenancy then there will be an administration charge of 100 + VAT."

Can they legally charge such an exorbitant fee for no service at all? I look forward to hearing from you.
This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
21/03/2016 14:13 - Report - Thank this member

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Property Six Pack (Gas Elec)