Tenant frustrating me in the fulfillment of my duties as a landlord

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant frustrating me in the fulfillment of my duties as a landlord
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
~
~Craig~
3 Posts
0 Thanks
Morning All,

The gas safety certificate expired yesterday.
I have previously written to the tenant informing them of this and asking them to contact me as she changed her number and didn't update me.
I have also been chasing her for rent arrears which is why she has not contacted me I suspect.
I have been trying to do this for a while now and she has not shown up for any meetings.

I need a valid CP12 and am very uncomfortable that this has now expired.
I was hoping she would assist as this is for her safety too - but guess I am just a little too optimistic generally!

I am now looking at serving eviction notice on her on the grounds that she is now frustrating me in my duties as a landlord. Rent arrears is also an issue to a lesser extent.

Her AST includes the following clauses:

"9 Allow us or our agents to come into the property at all reasonable hours of the day to inspect the condition of the property, to carry out repairs or to do other work which we must carry out by law. We will give you at least 24 hours’ written notice if we are going to enter the property. You must let us enter the property immediately if there is an emergency"

and

"F We may repossess the property if:
• you fail to pay us rent 14 days after it is due, whether you have been asked for it or not;
• any of the grounds listed in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 as amended under the Housing Act 1996 apply (these include not paying rent, breaking a term of the tenancy and causing a nuisance or annoyance"
(not really sure what the last point actually means though!)

Which notice and grounds should I be issuing?
Section 8 (12) I guess?
Section 8 (10) also applies but rent arrears not nearly as significant as denying access to carry out gas safety check.

For belt and braces could also issue a section 21 at the same time? or not necessary?

Unfortunately she was working with a charity when we took her on and they no longer work with her. They did arrange, with my blessing, additional locks and security features on the property so I can't physically gain access - otherwise I would write, give notice, and take the gas guy round personally.

My thanks
~Craig~

26/03/2016 11:10

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband