SDLT does it apply to my specific circumstance

You are here : Member Forums Property Investment SDLT does it apply to my specific circumstance
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Andy_755
11 Posts
1 Thanks
I am a Landlord of a single BTL property that I solely own. My partner and I have been co-habiting (not in a civil partnership) in a separate rented property that would be considered our main residence for a number of years. We are now looking to move out of rented property and purchase our first main residence together but I believe that due to my BTL property we would be liable for the increased SDLT if we purchase together.

The big question mark falls around the term 'main residence' as it implies that the purchase of a main residence exempts you of this additional 3% tax liability but equally it states that if you fail to sell your main residence before the purchase of the new residence as at that stage you own 2 properties you are liable.

I have gone through the SDLT tax calculator on the Govt website and it states that we would not need to pay either but it doesn't really cover our situation exactly. Any we with some advice on my predicament?
28/03/2016 10:21

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband