Join the Residential Landlords Association

Council Tax empty property exemption

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Council Tax empty property exemption
SkiAddict
SkiAddict
7 Posts
0 Thanks

My local council allows a 100% empty discount exemption (for one month only) for a property becoming empty.

My previous tenants gave notice and ended their tenancy on 16/12. Their tenancy agreement states they are liable for council tax etc until the end of their tenancy.

They chose to move out of the property 3 weeks early, but paid the rent up to the tenancy end date 16/12.

After I applied for the one month's empty property discount for the property from the end of the tenancy agreement, (from 16/12) it transpires the discount has already been given to the tenants as they moved out early.

Is this correct? Seems unfair that I could not re-let the property until after 16/12 yet the council can class it as empty 3 weeks prior to this? Surely the tenant should be liable for the full rate of Council Tax up to the end of their tenancy agreement.

30/01/2020 14:54

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions