Pre tenancy - tenant access?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Pre tenancy - tenant access?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Andyh176
23 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a property available now and a family ready to pay a holding deposit, the trouble is, they are waiting to complete on the sale of their house which may take 5-7 weeks from now.

i'm concerned about the risks of their sale not completing which would lead to my property sitting empty for an even greater period of time.

in negotiations, i have agreed to hold the property vacant for them until they complete, but the extra time this will take will incur another round of bills, to compensate they are offering to do a path repair job in the garden (which is the type of work he does) and they're also going to finish of any decorating inside the property - effectively I'm going to cover the expense and they are offering the labour so don't need to get anybody else involved.

the tricky part is, they would like to get all of this work done before they move in...i understand them wanting to do so, but until they complete on their house they don't have the funds start a tenancy early.

my concern is that i don't just want to give them the keys for them to decorate over the weekend, for me to pop round on Sunday evening and find they've moved in before signing anything. i really don't think they will do this...but it is technically possible.

i'm jus wondering if theres a way i can protect myself here? can i employ them as if they're simply there to do work for me, and if they decide to pull a fast one would i have a problem getting them out again?

again, they seem decent, but i don't want to open myself up to them moving in early and as a result rejecting any tenancy agreement?

advice please?
20/04/2016 21:10

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband