Tenant refusing access for repair works

You are here : Member Forums Access Tenant refusing access for repair works
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
Rachel 89
4 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi,

I am currently trying to gain access to my property that I let out to carry out repair works on damp and mould (as the tenant has not been looking after the property correctly). I have had 2 solicitors tell me that because I am the legal owner of the property I have the legal right to access the property as long as I have given 24 hours notice (I have given 5 days), this also applies if she refuses me to gain entry using my own set of keys.

The tenant is telling me that I can gain access once she has left the property (end of May) to do the required work so that my property doesn't get any further damage. I have made her aware that should she not let me in the property to fix the problems then she wil be liable to cover the costs.

Both solicitors have informed me that as it is reasonable access I am after this doesn't affect her rights under being able to enjoy the property. The tenant has said that the mould is causing her health issues so I don't understand why she won't let put the dehumidifier in the property and clean the mould from the walls.

My letting agent is telling me she could claim damages for harassment if I enter the property without her permission. My contract with the agent doesn't say I need a court order to gain access just 24 hours written notice.

I am slightly confused and very stressed around the conflicting information I am getting from both solicitors and my letting agent/ citizens advise.

Can anyone help? Has anyone been in this situation before.

Btw I haven't renewed her tenancy as she doesn't pay her rent on time and often falls in arrears
29/04/2016 17:23

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband