Tenant sublet flat without my knowledge

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant sublet flat without my knowledge
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Ady
16 Posts
1 Thanks
My new tenant passed the reference checks with flying colours. Then when I visited the flat found a complete stranger occupying it. As it turned out the tenant, who I had a 6 month AST with, had no intentions to move in, he only wanted to pass on an unwanted tenant of his, so that he can sell his property for a six figure sum. The occupying person would not pass reference checks and she is on housing benefit.
I gave the tenant a 2 month notice to quit in the first month of his tenancy as he (the tenant) did not have the protection of the law because he did not live at the contracted address as his "only and principal home" the main criterion of an assured shorthold tenancy.This is not contested, so the AST will come to an end in two month's time.

I seek the forum's view on the following.
1. How can I remove the sitting occupier who I have no contract with, who in effect is squatting there.
2. Is the passing on of the keys to a third party by a tenant, allowing that person to squat a culpable offence?

By the way the AST expressly forbids subletting.
02/05/2016 12:23

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband