Freeholder seeking Building Reg's

You are here : Member Forums Other Freeholder seeking Building Reg's
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Andy_755
11 Posts
1 Thanks
Hi there,
I am the freeholder of a property containing 4 self contained flats that was converted some years back by the previous owners and they never sort a building regulations compliance certificate.
The local authority has recent introduced selective licensing and classified the property as an HMO due to the lack of a building regulations certificate. The cost of the HMO licence is roughly £1300 every 5 years which I would rather spend on improving and raising the value of the property than lining the local authority’s coffers. I have also read that the classification of HMO devalues the individual leasehold properties of which I am the owner of one of them.
I am confident that my own flat will pass the inspection however I believe that some of the flats may require some expenditure to get up to grade. The lease for each flats states the following:
To execute and do at the expense of the Leaseholder all such works and things
whatever as may at any time during the Term be directed or required by any
national or local or other public authority, to be executed or done upon or in
respect of the Premises or any part thereof.
So my question is should each flat pay for its improvements separately to get the building regularisation certificate or should the cost be shared by all flats? Has anyone else encountered this situation or been through this process and what would they suggest?
This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
04/05/2016 20:04

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband