Advice re good paying tenant v terrible standards of cleaning and care

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Advice re good paying tenant v terrible standards of cleaning and care
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
TAE28
5 Posts
1 Thanks
Tenant in situ coming up for three years. My issue is with the way they live and the effect on the property. It was in very good condition (carpets less than 1 yr old) when they moved in and on inspections the property has become very shabby over the time mainly due to the tenant's lack of cleaning and dog.(they asked for permission to have a dog, which after considering I allowed but did get them to sign a further agreement (letswithpets.org)Dogs Trust which states they must pick up the cost of damage and a professional clean and flea treatment). As a puppy the dog chewed architrave around doors and the end shelf of a kitchen unit, also the carpets have pulls in it from its claws and these have then caught in the hoover and made bald patches also it is no longer fitted around doorways and the dog running from room to room has pulled this from the door bars and this too has caught in the hoover. The house smells generally of wet dog and the gravel yard and drive is normally covered in droppings. The house is generally very untidy and dirty, always mountains of pots etc, but that just seems to be how they live. My question is do you keep a tenant like this as they always pays rent and just think when they go it will need a full overhaul. Or do I say on visits that it has to be cleaned up? I have mentioned it smells and one of the tenants has given numerous excuses as to why it's untidy. I don't know if as a landlord you can dictate how someone lives. I realise I could give notice but just thought I would canvas others thoughts re the dirty v dosh dilemma.
05/05/2016 16:27

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband