No Win No Fee Tenancy Deposit Claim

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits No Win No Fee Tenancy Deposit Claim
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
Teresa Cooper
37 Posts
6 Thanks
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share my experience recently with a No Win No Fee Tenancy Deposit company.

I was sent a letter from one of these companies telling me I had not protected my tenants deposit correctly. They were claiming a settlement amount of 3,300 or they would take me to court ofr 9,900 plus 'substantial' costs. My tenants first deposit was registered late with the TDS, by my agent, by 15 days although he did receive his PI info etc.

After consulting the RLA Team I was advised that the Localism Act 2012 which came into effect on 6th April 2012 gave landlords 30 days grace to ensure deposits were protected properly i.e by 6th May 2012. This covered me and I pointed this out to the NWNF company.

They then told me I did not understand the regulations and kept quoting the Rodrigues v Superstrike appeals. So, I sent them an email with 10 attachements which proved I was right and clearly they did not understand the Localism Act themselves. I have not heard from them since.

I though I would share this on the forum as their letters were quite threatening and I thought that they must be right as they surely should know the rules, regs and laws if they are sending these claims out to landlords. I could have paid them, unwittingly, had I not investigated their claim more thoroughly.

The other thing that concerned me, if I settled, to send the money straight to them. I don't think so.

I am trying to find out if anything can be done to stop this company issuing these claims when clearly they do not know the law. I wonder if any other landlords have had any problems with the NWNF companies.
Regards.
This member has been thanked by 4 members for this post.
18/05/2016 17:02

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband