Join the Residential Landlords Association

S.21 with ongoing maintenance issues but no improvement notice?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 S.21 with ongoing maintenance issues but no improvement notice?
JMH
JMH
42 Posts
2 Thanks

We have damp in a property (Im not convinced this is not being made worse by the tenant but hey) and no matter what we try it remains. Its penetrating damp, weve had the chimney stack removed as an independent survey suggested that was the way the water was getting in, weve stripped the wall paper to help things dry and had a Kleenair unit installed but the damp persists. Were just waiting on the tenant giving some suitable dates for another expert to have a look. Now the boiler is getting old.

We have been mulling over selling the property because none of our family wants it and we would much rather invest in something much closer to home.

Where do we stand with S.21 given these ongoing maintenance issues? From what I have read, even if the tenant went to the council and they served an improvement notice selling the house appears to be a get out of jail card here. If I serve the S.21 now (Id do it for 3 months probably) is the maintenance thing an issue, or is it better to put the house on the market first and then serve? Or if I serve notice but dont sell given if the house were empty it would be far easier to get the damp sorted out would the tenant have due cause to somehow sue to remain?

09/03/2020 16:09

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions