What do you think of the new Mayors proposed London Living rents?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion What do you think of the new Mayors proposed London Living rents?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
john_541
541 Posts
94 Thanks
I have watched the new Mayors question time and the comments that he made on London living rents which he says will be capped at one third of average earnings for each London borough.

He also said that shelter and others have recommended this and that he intends to implement it.

It appears that no consideration what so ever will be given to the type of property being rented or to what it might have cost to purchase or any overhead costs.

The other problem as I see it is that in London boroughs such as Newham where each property is licensed there are already restrictions on the number of occupants per property.

For example some 2 bed houses have a license that allows the property to be rented to either a family or just 2 individuals whereas prior to the license being introduced there could easily have been 3 sharers in this property which would make it cheaper for everyone.

How would this living rent be viable for example where a family occupies say a 3/4 bed house and only one or possibly 2 people working?

Although the average wage in Newham may be low the house prices have risen and I am sure that this is the same in many other London boroughs also.

Where is the joined up thinking here?

31/05/2016 11:39

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband