Anyone encountered LA charging their tenants a fee for a Landlord Reference

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Anyone encountered LA charging their tenants a fee for a Landlord Reference
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Maureen_539
1,215 Posts
434 Thanks
I'm credit-checking/screening 3 candidates for an AST to commence on 28th June.
All evidence coming in swiftly..no probs until I approached Mistoria the LA's who have 'managed' the threesome's tenancy for the past year.

Mistoria replied to say they 'charge' for such a reference & until the sum is paid ..then no reference will be forthcoming.

I feel pretty miffed at this because I provide 6-8 such references to LA's each year as a professional courtesy. I know some would argue that isn't the point as time is money!

The LA's business practice seems flawed because it seems like they have the candidates 'over a barrel' & taking advantage of them. They are actually losing the tenants because of lack of maintenance, lack of attention, lack of response to numerous phone calls about infestations.

The tenants are strapped for cash & would not find it easy to find a sum of money at short notice that they had no idea was to be demanded from them.

Anyone heard of this practice...anyone got a ref foc from a LA?
m
26/06/2016 00:40

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband