Join the Residential Landlords Association

rent is bills inc tnts working from home...energy usage is spiking...any suggestions

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management rent is bills inc tnts working from home...energy usage is spiking...any suggestions
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Maureen_539
Maureen_539
4,028 Posts
1,837 Thanks

Hello colleagues.
My HMO's are all bills incl. 2 Tnts work in IT although now are working from home. Smart METER proves a big spike in usage for this week so I've warned about the Fair Use Policy in the AST [tnts pay for extra over the monthly allowance]. At this time therefore I'm subsidising the two global companies that two tenants work for ..they are keeping their jobs, just set up at home Mon-Fri 8am-5pm..using power that I'm paying for.
The weather is getting warmer so CH use will decline. Electricity is way up on last weeks usage because in effect two tnts are using my property as office premises.
The 3rd tnt is a medic so not homeworking & saying why should she be paying for others energy usage. Fair point.
I'm expecting a plea for rent reduction any day as the challenges increase & I'm prepared to deal with each tnt individually when that crops up.

Just wondered if the working from home & big spike in energy costs was affecting other HMO landlords, or those that offer bills inclusive package.

I did think of asking both tnts if their employer was providing an 'daily allowance' for them who are in effect providing a remote office base so it can be business as usual....at someone else's expense.
Currently mine!

As the 'working from home' will be for the foreseeable future & companies may adopt it anyway if its a cheaper option for them..just trawling in these early days for a solution. The Fair Use Policy is in the AST.Its never been evoked before now as never been necessary. I don't want to subsidise RENT & also the operating costs of two global IT companies for the duration.

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
26/03/2020 18:21

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions