AST ends on sunday and now they want to stay

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management AST ends on sunday and now they want to stay
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Jax
24 Posts
2 Thanks

Hi Guys,
Bare with me, I am new to this and am dealing with my 1st tenancy.
My tenants agreement which included their notice to quit the property ends on 31st July.
They had found a cheaper property and I agreed they could leave on that date hence the inclusion of their intended departure.
As a consequence I put the property up for sale as I no longer want to own it.
2 weeks ago they told me their new place had fallen through and could they stay till they found somewhere else.
I have informally agreed they can on the understanding that there will be viewings and if an offer is received I will serve 2 months notice. Also, as and when they find a new property they can give 1 months notice as they will be on a periodic rolling monthly contract.
So, My questions are:
even though no action is required, would it be a good idea to type up the terms we are proceeding under re viewings and proposed sale to make sure they don't try and say I didn't tell them? ( I am trying to help them out but don't want tying in knots by them)
Or what do you guys recommend I do next?
I find the info a bit mind boggling and have read somewhere on here that if they are on a periodic rolling contract they can just stay and refuse to go? Ahhhhh!!!

28/07/2016 22:02

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband