Tenant wants to swap houses with a friend

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Tenant wants to swap houses with a friend
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Steve72
1 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi,

My tenant wants to swap houses with a friend who is also renting (through a different landlord).

In principle, I don't have any problems with this; she is a very good tenant and I'm assured her friend is as well. Obviously, I won't take this on face value, I realise it's up to me to do some due diligence and found out for myself; I will meet the friend and her landlord to find out what they're like.

But I'm wondering how this will work with regards to the AST agreement. My tenant has signed up for 24 months (and we're just 10 months in) and fully paid up front. I don't know where her friend is in her agreement (i.e. has it just started or is it nearing the end?).

The easiest thing I can think of doing is to allow my tenant to sublet to her friend for the remaining period. This may work for me, but the timing might not be suitable for the other landlord.

Any advice, tips or gotchas to look out for? Is it really simple as a sublet?

Thanks.

29/07/2016 01:01

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband