Right to leave early if the landlord terminates a tenancy?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Right to leave early if the landlord terminates a tenancy?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
L
Leaseholder
2 Posts
0 Thanks

Hello, a friend of mine rented a property on a 12 month AST on the understanding that the property was an investment and the tenancy would be renewable for several years. However, the landlord has now given 3 months notice that he will not renew as his son wants to live there.

As it will be very difficult to line up a new property with an exact same start date, my friend asked the landlord whether he could leave earlier if he found anything suitable. The landlord said he could leave early but still had to pay the rent and bills to the end of the 12 month tenancy. The question is, is this legal as it is my understanding that even if it had been my friend who wanted to end the tenancy, the landlord has a legal responsibility to do his best to re-let for the remaining period and can only charge rent should he be unable to re-let, and he is clearly not going to market the property if his son is moving in (I know that he can't double dip ie. charge rent to 2 people or allow his son to move in if they vacate early but are still paying rent - this is specifically a question on whether he can insist on rent until the end if he doesn't even try to re-let)

Thank you

01/08/2016 18:21

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband