My tenant wishes to sublet the flat

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management My tenant wishes to sublet the flat
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
H
HappyHubby
2 Posts
0 Thanks

We have had a couple renting our flat for about 3 years now and they are literally the perfect tenants. They keep the flat immaculate, they always inform us of any problems with the flat but are willing and able to take on minor repairs with permission, they pay on time etc etc.

Unfortunately due to compassionate reasons they need to return to their native Germany for 6 months+ but are very keen to return to the flat when they are able to come back to the UK. They have secured transfers from work so they will still be employed whilst they are gone. They have asked that, in order to guarantee they can return to the flat that has become their home, whether we would consider allowing them to sub-let the flat whilst they are abroad. Although I don't know the finer details of their plan I understand that they would continue to be responsible for the rent and condition of the flat whilst they are away.

I have faith that they would only sub-let the flat to equally responsible tenants, and therefore I am broadly in favour of the idea, I just need to ensure that we have the correct paperwork in place. They are on a standard AST (which disallows sub-letting) initially issued 3 years ago for 6 months, and rolling since. They are due for a rent review next month (September) and would be looking to leave the UK sometime in October.

I would assume that I could provide an amendment to their contract, or issue a new one, and also they would need to issue their sub-tenant a contract which I would be party to. Please advise the best cause of action and if you have any standard contracts to assist.

Many thanks.

19/08/2016 19:48

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband