Leaking soil pipe into neighbouring garden

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Leaking soil pipe into neighbouring garden
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Al2016
11 Posts
0 Thanks

I am the landlord of a mid terrace property that has a soil pipe running down the outside. The neighbour has dug a trial pit next to the boundary and has potential revealed that the pipe is leaking. Over the past week water from the pipe has leaked in to the pit washing away more soil making the problem worse.

I am trying to get the pipe inspected and repaired if found at fault but the neighbour is asking me to cover costs to get the pit drained and cover internal damp on the nearby wall that has been present for years.

Am I liable for these costs? Can the damp be proven to be caused by the leaking pipe? Surely there are many potential reasons. Am I liable for costs to drain the hole? Wouldn't filling the hole back in simply resolve this problem short term whilst the drain is inspected? Am I required to respond to his timelines?

It has been two weeks since the problem was identified, last week I had arranged for a drain inspector to attend this week but they cancelled at the last minute. I am in the process of rearranging ASAP but I expect it could be another week as it's difficult to arrange access, is this an unreasonable timeframe?

01/09/2016 22:07

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband