Electrical safety certs - legally whose name should they be in?

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Electrical safety certs - legally whose name should they be in?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
JLOWE
23 Posts
1 Thanks
We are purchasing a property, and due to a point raised on the valuation we have requested that the vendor (who wishes to remain in the property as a tenant) obtains proof that the electrics are sound. The Vendor states the house was rewired in the last three years (unable to provide a receipt/guarantee for works), yet the valuer disagrees saying that the wiring is considerably older.

We have suggested that rather than the vendor pay an independant electrician to provide a report, that we would pay half towards an electric safety certificate, reducing the cost for the vendor, yet also saving ourselves having to pay full price for a cert.

The estate agent has stated that the certificate would have to be in the name of the vendor as she is the owner of the property at the point it is carried out. I would like the certificate to be in my name. Is the certificate still valid in the someone else's name or would I need to have a new certficate issued in my name once I complete on the property?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks

31/05/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband