Pro's & cons of Smart Meters colleagues?

You are here : Member Forums Access Pro's & cons of Smart Meters colleagues?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Maureen_539
1,057 Posts
364 Thanks

Thinking of encouraging tenants to apply for installation of SMART meters. These are applicable to ALL sorts of meters. This gives them the convenient facility to 'top-up' Pay as U GO meters from smart phones & see which plugged-in equipment is using most energy. No more Meter Reading needed so an end to estimated bills [ always complained about even though the remedy is in their gift].

Seems okish..no catches shown on web-sites & by 2020 they'll be a requirement anyway.
Just wondered if any colleages had experience of SMART meters or know of shortcomings in terms of security of the info that's retrieved & used to calculate/pinpoint usage.

Would be useful to me during summer vacations & also at change-overs when I need to travel miles to get reliable meter-readings. Would service providers disputing tnts Final meter readings[ DOH, these can often be unreliable].

I'm aware of it's another 'Big Brother' risk of data high-jacking. It's on the horizon though & the security will have to be one step ahead of the hackers...if that's ever possible. Even NATO is susceptible to hackers!

Your time & your comments/thoughts, as always are very welcome.

27/10/2016 14:16

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband