Council tax & HMO

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Council tax & HMO
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Marylynn1949
1 Posts
0 Thanks
Hello, I am in dispute with my local authority over Council Tax liability. I am a first-time landlord, having bought a 2-bedroom flat because my daughter is at university. The market rent for the property is 600 pcm, and she moved in with her boyfriend. We gave them both separate tenancy agreements @ 300 pcm each, thinking that if the relationship broke down, this would make it easier for the boy to leave and us to bring in someone else to share the flat. The council is now saying that this is therefore a HMO, as neither tenant is "liable to pay rent or a licence fee in respect of the whole dwelling", and therefore council tax liability falls to me as landlord.
Other than our choice of tenancy agreement, this is clearly a single household. We obviously won't make this mistake with the next flat-sharing tenant, but in the meantime, can you give any advice on this?
20/12/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband