letting to a friend

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management letting to a friend
Forum Avatar
Jax
15 Posts
2 Thanks

well, we have a very good family friend who sadly has split up with his wife. As my rental property is unoccupied as we are selling my main home to move into it. Obviously we let him move in till he sorted himself out. Anyway, he now wants to rent it from me as its exactly what he wants which I have no issue with.he was once our business partner when we bought it so there is no trust issue
I wont be taking a deposit and neither of us want to commit to a 6 month AST as he needs the flexibility to change plans and my own home is for sale and I need to be able to move in once a sale occurs. we are both fine with this and happy to live together if needed, he will then be my lodger.
My question is, while we are old dearest friends and have no issue with this is there any legal requirement to issue an informal agreement I don't want jumping on by the landlord police!
no2 He is happy to take sign up for the rates and utilities and pay the bills but before I speak to the council can someone clarify the rule on who is responsible for council tax if furnished/ part furnished or unfurnished... I did read this somewhere but cannot find it now.
many thanks as always!

21/11/2016 21:17

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband