advice regarding inventory please

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents advice regarding inventory please
L
Liisa
3 Posts
0 Thanks

Five years ago I asked an agent to manage 2 properties for me. The management has been adequate in respect of one property.

The other property was returned to me recently with extensive damage and requires new kitchen, bathroom, floors, plastering, redecorating , has severe moldy growth and stank. I believe it had been used as a crack house and the neighbors believe the same.

The agents state they were unable to gain access for the past 2 years despite gas safety checks being undertaken.

The agents identified a rent guarantor before the AST was signed and only looked at his pay slips. I was assured by them he was a suitable guarantor but he will now not communicate with me and has stated I will need to fight him through the court and he is now unemployed.

After battling with the agent for 6 days regarding sight of the move in inventory they have admitted they failed to do one. What they do have are photos taken on the day the tenant moved in . These have been recovered from a staff member who has since left the company . The photos are unsigned but the files are dated on the ex staff members computer. The agent charged me for an inventory.

The agent asked if this was acceptable and I have stated no.

I manage property full time myself and am aware of the appropriate legislation.

What is your opinion and do I have a legal case for negligence?

02/12/2016 12:51

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband