Tenant refusing to pay rent due to disrepair

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Tenant refusing to pay rent due to disrepair
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
Rudolf
10 Posts
1 Thanks

The only way I found out that my previous tenant had left was when the keys were posted to me. The house was left in a right state so arranged for refurbishment works. in the meantime I advertised the house for rent and got some viewings until a woman said she would have it subject to certain works being carried out such as laminate flooring, decoration, etc. The rent was set at £100 per week and £200 was to be paid to secure the tenancy. She moved in on 24th November 2016 after paying the remaining £300.00 advance rent.

Due to problems with the contractor and her night shifts, work on the house ground to a halt but was completely decorated and just needed small parts of the flooring finished. She refused to pay any more rent so I got estimates for the work to be completed. The tenant paid me a week's rent as she did not want to get into any more arrears than the three weeks and said she would pay me direct from her account every week and the rest when the works were complete.

By now it was near the end of December and I arranged for works to start when the tenant was in. The new contractor did not turn up due to ill health but can start on 8th January.

In the meantime the tenant has not paid any more rent until all works are complete. I've tried to compromise by asking her to pay £100 each day the contractor is working on the property as it is expected to take 4-5 days but has refused to pay or move out.

What is my best course of action?

06/01/2017 19:27

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband