Apportion refurb costs against both capital value and costs

You are here : Member Forums Tax Planning and Financial Apportion refurb costs against both capital value and costs
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
jono2000
6 Posts
0 Thanks

Hi - i've spent around £45k on a refurb for a HMO.

And I'm a private landlord, not a co.

I want to apportion approx £30k of that to the capital value of the building (ie stop the revenue taxing me on my purchase price if and when I sell) and put about £15k as running costs, ie the paint and dec, the carpets, appliances, furniture etc that would naturally have to be bought.

The £30k goes on new house structure, new bathrooms, damp proof, new roof etc, structural items that should increase capital value of the property.

I'm used to putting costs down against my income, but how do I tell the revenue I've upgraded the houses using my own cash....

So that (for example) I bought the house for £100k. I increased its capital value to £130k, so if I sell it in 5 years for £160k, the revenue only chargme me cap gains tax on the £30k, less allowances, not the full £60k they may think, if they look at the purchase price.

thanks in advance .... there must be a way of doing this.

24/01/2017 01:21

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband