Damage to carpet by cat

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Damage to carpet by cat
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Yorkshirespambo
38 Posts
1 Thanks

Our tenant has told us she intends to leave the property February half term week.

We have returned the deposit to the tenant as it was not registered. (Due to lack of information from letting agency who took the deposit.)

We are going to do a preliminary inspection and then final inspection before she leaves. We are letting her go before end of agreement as the property has not been looked after as it should. The tenancy agreement broken.

Unfortunately we agreed she could bring the cat to the property several weeks after the assured shorthold tenancy agreement was signed. We didn't realise we should have got her to sign forms relating to any damage the cat may do. (We had cats in this property for 30 years and they never did any damage like this one has done within a few months.)

I feel that this tenant has probably done this before at other properties. (By taking on a property with no pets and then asked to bring it a few weeks into the tenancy. That way, someone without experience allows it and doesn't get the relevant paperwork signed.) I have come to this conclusion with the responses we have had from her relating to the damage.

We know that the cat has badly damaged the stair carpet and we will need to replace it and in the hall too.

I am worried about what we are going to find at the preliminary inspection, if we find all of the carpets are damaged in the same way and the full house needs recarpeting.

I could do to know before we go to the house, considering the deposit was not secured, are we able to take anything further or do we just let her go on to the next property and pay for all damage ourselves?

I want to be prepared for what our response needs to be as she come around the house with us during the inspection.

Thankyou.

26/01/2017 11:46

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband